Monday, June 13, 2016

Who We Are

Country Music: a form of popular music originating in the rural southern US. It is traditionally a mixture of ballads and dance tunes played characteristically on fiddle, guitar, steel guitar, drums, and keyboard.

Hipster: a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.



A: I was raised in a small town just north of the Twin Cities (Minnesota).  I always describe it as "the beginning of the nothingness" to people who have never heard of it.  Growing up, I liked all kinds of music, but my love for country became more than surface deep the day my dad forced me and my brother to download some Merle Haggard songs to our home computer.  I had never heard of the man but in no time I became obsessed, to the point of listening to him before every sporting event I played in, and even disqualifying future boyfriends on the basis of being an "un-Hag fan".  Since then, I've been become more obsessed with country music, going to as many shows as I can, discovering new artists, and of course still showing love to the legends.

B: Born & raised in a small east central Minnesota town, country has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.  At the age of 1 I was brought to my first concert, The Charlie Daniels Band.  One of my first major crushes was on Party Marty Stuart & at the age of 3 I knew all of the words to Billy Ray Cyrus' Achy Breaky Heart.  Like I said, country music has always been a part of my life.  Over the years my love of country music, and live shows, has only grown.  I've been to dozens upon dozens of shows and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.  At 23 I moved to Texas and was introduced to a whole new genre of country music, Texas/Red Dirt Country.  It was Texas Country that restored my faith in the country music scene just as mainstream country started to be taking a nose dive by adding in rap, techno, and pop lyrics to their songs.

Country Music Hipsters: We both love discovering new songs and new artists.  On more than one occasion we've said things such as, "Your probably haven't heard of them but...," "You need to hear this new band/artist," "I was listening to this band/artist before they were on mainstream radio," which is how we became country music hipsters.  With this blog we hope to both introduce you to new music as well as talk about bands/artists that you may already love.

No comments:

Post a Comment